Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Potato Salad

I like potato salad with burgers or hot dogs.  They kind of go together.  I am no nutritionist, but it seems healthier than French fries.  Not fried, but there is mayonnaise, so who knows.  If you are eating potato salad, you shouldn't be worried about calories and fat.  Have a fruit salad or a lettuce salad.  Or just eat a big bowl of spinach with no dressing.

But if you want to eat a delicious potato salad, diet the day before and the week after and just go for it.  And open a can of baked beans while you're at it.  They go great with potato salad.

Potato Salad

1 pound (or so, who counts?) red potatoes
2 celery ribs
3 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup small diced red onion.
3 Tablespoons sweet pickle relish (or to taste)
3/4 cup mayo
Big squirt yellow mustard
salt and pepper to taste

This is my favorite potato salad and it is mostly the same each time I make it.  I rarely measure, so I had to slow down and measure for this recipe.  Use it as a starting point and use more or less to suit you.  This is the way I like it.

Boil the eggs first.  Or even the day before.  They should be cold when you put them in the salad.

 

I like the texture of red potatoes for salad or mashed potatoes.  They are less starchy.  Get the big ones that have a shiny red peel and aren't too lumpy.   I use a peeler to get out the eyes and any spots that look weird.  I don't peel them other than that.  Dice them up into small pieces.  Place them in a large sauce pan and cover them with water.  Heat on medium high.  Watch the pot.  It can boil over if too hot.  Once the water boils, turn down to a simmer.  The small dice means they will cook quickly. 

Check them after 10 minutes.  I usually scoop up a piece with a wooden spoon and cut it in half with a paring knife.  If it slices easily and is sort of soft, it is done.  If there is a bit of bite to it, dump the potato back in and keep cooking.  You don't want to over cook or it will be mushy.

Drain the potatoes and let cool.

 

Dice the celery an even smaller dice than the potatoes and do a bit smaller than that for the onions.

 

 Place the diced veggies into a big bowl.  Add the cooled potatoes. They don't have to be cold.  We are busy here and can't wait all day. 

 

Start with 1/2 cup mayo, the mustard and a couple spoons of pickle relish.  If you like more, add more.  I like a bit more.

Salt and pepper.  Get a clean spoon and taste.  Add whatever you need to make it taste like you remember.  Unless your mother was a terrible cook and then put in enough s&p so that YOU like it.

 

Now peel and slice the eggs.  I use a wire egg slicer.  After I slice the egg one way, I turn it up on its top (or bottom) and slice the other direction.  Then the diced pieces get put on top of the salad and folded in.  I do them last so they don't get all mushed in.



See how easy?  And WAAAY better than the ones you buy at the grocery store deli section.  They are always too vinegary or too mushy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a firm believer that potato salad has nothing bad in it. When I make it it's a HUGE bowl full and we eat it with burgers, hot dogs, barbecued ribs, chicken.... it just tastes good with everything in warm weather. Your recipe looks good.

    ReplyDelete