Friday, October 11, 2013

Arborio Rice Pudding

I was craving rice pudding.  Usually when I make rice pudding, it is with leftover rice and I use eggs and milk for a custard.  I pour it over the rice and bake with a bit of cinnamon and lemon zest. 

This time I wanted to use some of the Arborio rice I use for risotto. Arborio is plump and short and turns creamy when used for risotto.  Wouldn't a creamy rice make a great rice pudding?  While searching for recipes I found this quote from Stephanie Plum via Janet Evanovich.

"Ranger declined the butterscotch pudding, not wanting to disrupt the consistency of his blood sugar level.  I had two puddings and a coffee, choosing to keep my pancreas at peak performance.

Use it or lose it is my philosophy."

I'm with Stephanie.  Plus, it is only four Tablespoons of sugar for 4 servings.  Not THAT bad for a dessert, is it?

This recipe is adapted from Dave Lieberman's

 

Arborio Rice Pudding

1 cup water
pinch of salt
1/2 Tablespoon butter
1/2 cup Arborio Rice
2 cups milk.  He used whole, I used 2 %.
4 Tablespoons sugar.  It was plenty sweet.  I might try 3 Tablespoons next time.
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Flavorings of your choice.  I used
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cardamom
I was afraid to use lemon zest with all the spices, but I may try that next time.  Use what you like and have in the pantry.  Dave Lieberman just used cinnamon.

Whipped cream or Cool Whip for serving, optional

 

Boil the water, salt and butter in a medium saucepan.  Add the rice.  Return to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Shake the pan from time to time.  Keep cooking until all the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.  The rice will not be cooked through at this time.  But you are not through cooking it!

 

While the rice is cooking, place the milk, sugar and the spices you chose in another sauce pan.

 

Bring it to a simmer.  Not too hot, you will scald the milk.  When the rice has absorbed all the water, add it to the milk mixture. and continue to simmer until the rice has absorbed most of the milk.  It will start to get thick.  This will take another 15 minutes, or so.

 

Remove the rice from the heat and transfer it to a large bowl.  Let it cool to room temperature.  You may then chill it, but I like my rice pudding served slightly warm. 

 

You may have it plain or serve it with whipped cream or Cool Whip.

A perfect treat for a cool evening.

3 comments:

  1. OK this is one treat I am saving for when we can have rice products again. Rice pudding is one of my favorites, Rebecca, and yet I have only attempted to make it once and not very well. Yours by comparison looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rice pudding! It's such a comfort food! I'll bet I wouldn't have liked it as a kid, but sure do now.

    I'm taking a guess though that you mean David Lebovitz?

    ReplyDelete