Saturday, September 29, 2012

Touristy Things

We don't get to London a lot by any means, but the times we have been, I have avoided the London Eye.  I think it has something to do with avoidance of crowds and heights, in no particular order.  My girls assured me that the Eye was sufficiently slow and solid as to keep me from embarrassing myself.  So we went.

   

Lee bought the tickets online and we were there early.  With the purchase of a ticket we were allowed to go to the 4D experience associated with the Eye.  It was too early for the Eye to start, so we went.  It was a fun (and short) film and told about the building of the Eye and the opening day, all in 3D.  I think the 4th dimension was the bubbles and the fog blown around us.  Not really sure!  But it was interesting watching the Eye being built and to see some aerial shots, plus the seagulls that flew at us.

It seems that the Eye used to be slower, according to others on our "pod."  It took a little more than 20 minutes to go around and did not seem too fast or too slow. 

   

The day was reasonably clear, this IS London after all, and we could see Parliament and boats and bridges.  The most interesting thing about London is that there is ALWAYS something being built or repaired and there are buildings built hundreds of years ago right next to the most modern looking of buildings.

    

The River cruise was fun and we got to see parts of London we had never seen before. I like to have a knowledgeable guide explain what we are seeing and they had that. 

Other than Parliament, the most iconic sights from the Thames are the Tower of London

   

with the Traitor's Gate.

   

And the Tower Bridge.

   

So now we are home and I have to go back to clearing brush and blogging recipes.  A change of pace was nice, but I can't wait to get back into the routine.
 

2 comments:

  1. Checked online after reading this post and found out all I never knew about this attraction and definitely would have been on our "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, I am so behind on my blog reading! I will enjoy catching up on your trip. Glad you're back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete