Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hominy Quesadillas With Pineapple Mango Salsa


 

A few weeks ago my daughter called and asked about Hominy Quesadillas.  I hadn't made them in some time and had to think about how I used to do it.  I know I have the recipe somewhere.  In fact organizing recipes has been on my list for wee...make that months.

Hominy is a Native American food made from dried corn.  It can be found way above the canned corn or way below the canned corn at the grocery store.  It comes in white and yellow and I have no idea if there is a difference...other than color.

There are versions with jalapenos, but they no longer appeal to me.  So add them to the quesadillas and the salsa on days when I am not invited to your house for dinner.  This is a refreshing meal for the summer.

Hominy Quesadillas

8 corn tortillas
1 15 oz. can drained hominy
1 1/2 to 3 cups  mixed cheeses. I used Cheddar, Monterrey Jack and Feta cheese
vegetable oil

 

I made the lesser amount of cheese.  You can make the cheesier version, if you like.  You can also add jalapenos and pepper Jack Cheese.  Make sure you use at least some feta.  It has great flavor.  Mix the cheeses and the drained hominy in a medium bowl.
 
I have a long griddle pan.  You can use a heavy bottom fry pan.  Heat a small amount of oil in the pan over medium heat. 
 
Place as many tortillas as will fit, my griddle held three.  Top them with the hominy mixture, reserving enough for the rest of the tortillas.  Top each tortilla with another tortilla for a sandwich with the hominy in the middle.
 
Cook until the tortilla starts to crisp and the cheese is melted.  Now comes the tricky part.  You need to flip this whole thing over without losing the middle.  You will lose a few of the hominy.  Hominy is up to you....get it?

I use two spatulas.  Lift the crisp tortilla ( crisp helps to keep the filling inside) with a large spatula Use another spatula and place it on top of the quesadilla.  Flip the whole thing over so that your bottom spatula is now on the top and carefully return it to the pan.  Practice first!  In case of excessive hominy loss, gently lift the top tortilla and using a utensil, like chopsticks,, not your fingers ( HOT), push the lost ones back in.

Finish cooking so that this side is crisp and carefully move to a cutting board.
You've seen how they cut pizzas.  They place a large knife in the middle and rock it across .  Do this to make four equal pieces.  Place on individual plates or on a serving plate.  Serve with the salsa...This is a must.  It's just cheese and corn if you don't.
Pineapple Mango Salsa
1 cup cut up pineapple
1 or 2 large mango
1/2 cup chopped red onion
lots of cilantro
You can cut up fresh pineapple, but I just used the tidbits in its own juice.  Peel and slice the mango.  Stand it up and cut down around the seed.  Then cut off the bits on the side.  Cut into wedges to make removing the skin easier.  Dice and place in the bowl.
 
I LOVE cilantro.  Tear off about 1/3 of the bunch from the store, rinse and dry with a paper towel.  Finely chop. Add the cilantro and the onion and mix. Some people, and by this I mean younger people than I, like to add some seeded chopped jalapeno.
 
Serve a generous portion with the quesadilla wedges.  If you make extra it is still good the next day and can be used with chicken or even just scooped up with a chip.

No comments:

Post a Comment