Saturday, August 25, 2012

Caprese Salad



I had a BUNCH of ripe tomatoes.  I always grow basil, because it is so easy and way too expensive in the stores.  So I bought some Mozzarella and made some....

Caprese Salad

Tomatoes
Basil
Fresh Mozzarella
Olive oil
Salt & Pepper

That's it.   It is pretty and the colors of the Italian flag.  Just thick juicy, slices of home grown tomatoes layered with moist slices of fresh mozzarella from the deli,  not the hard kind back by the packaged cheeses.

 

 In between the slices place tender leaves of a basil plant, that you have carefully washed to remove any bugs, and gently dried with a paper towel.  I put some on top for the pictures , so you could see them.  The rest are buried under cheese

Drizzle the whole thing with your best Olive Oil and sprinkle on a bit of salt and pepper.

Easy Peasy, salad Caprese.

Here is the problem.  I love fresh tomatoes cut up in things like salads and pasta. I also love them layered in sandwiches smothered in mayo.  I am not so fond of thick slices all by themselves.  Even with a slab of cheese. I should have served them with some sourdough bread or maybe some rounds sliced off a baguette.  But I didn't. Still trying to avoid the carbs. 

 
 

 
Lee liked it and that is the best part of this salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment