Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Version Of A Tuna Melt

I love a Tuna Melt fried in whatever grease they use in diners and covered with grilled onions.I do know they aren't good for me, so this is my version.

First make the tuna salad.

Tuna Salad

2 12 oz cans chunk white tuna
(I know this is a lot but I make a bunch and eat it in celery sticks or on top of a salad or SOMETIMES on top of whole grain crackers.)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
3 hard boiled eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 big forks full of sweet pickle relish
pepper to taste

Chop the onions and celery and place in a large bowl. Drain the tuna and flake with a fork.




I like to chop the eggs using an egg slicer. Slice each egg lengthwise and then turn it and slice it upright. I use a fork to add the pickle relish to kind of drain it a bit. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix everything together. Set aside.




You now have the salad part.

My Version of a Tuna Melt

Tuna salad
Cheddar Cheese, shredded
Whole Grain English Muffins, I use Thomas's

Lightly toast the English Muffins. While they are toasting, grate the Cheddar cheese.




Mound the tuna salad on the toasted muffins. Press the cheddar cheese gently on top. You don't want to clean it off the bottom of your toaster oven. Return them to the oven for 5 or 6 minutes at 350 or until melted.




Serve with fresh fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment