Saturday, April 28, 2012

Lentil Chickpea Chili

I found a recipe for Lentil Chickpea Chili that looked interesting.  I made it and it was good but not glorious.  I added chicken broth and chicken to it, but it was originally vegetarian.  It made a lot for two people and we have had it for two meals and still have a lot left.  I may not make it again, but I have included it in case you are looking for something healthy.  I will probably stick with other chilis in the future, however I made it and took pictures and have nothing else to write about today so her it is!

Lentil Chickpea Chili (with Chicken if you like!)

EVOO
6 cups vegetarian broth (I used chicken)

2 Tablespoons tomato paste
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound red lentils
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 cup chopped onions
1 chopped carrot or a small handful of baby carrots, chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
3 minced cloves garlic, or used the pre-minced version like I did, 2 teaspoons or so
2 bay leaves
1 cup chopped cooked chicken (if desired)
2 (15 oz) cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
sour cream
avocado

This can be cooked in a slow cooker for 8 hours, but I did it on the stove in about 1 hour.

                                          

Pour some EVOO in a large soup pot on medium.  I used cilantro and roasted onion flavor.  Then put in the onions, carrots, celery and cook for about 4 minutes, until the onions turn translucent.  Add the spices and garlic and cook until aromatic.  Add the broth, tomato paste and the mustard. 

                                        

When everything is mixed in add the red lentils, the chicken if you are using it and the bay leaves.  Let it simmer for about 1 hour or until the carrots are soft enough for you.  I like them with a bit of bite.

                                                     


Remove the bay leaves and add the chickpeas and the cilantro.  Cook for a few minutes to heat through.

                                    

Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top and some chopped avocados.  If you are a vegan, you can leave out the sour cream, but in my opinion the sour cream and the avocados REALLY made the dish a lot better.  It added some creaminess that the chili needed and the avocados did, too.

                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment