Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Thrill Is Gone


Well, all my posting on delicious recipes has caught up with me.  You know and I know that I didn't JUST notice it.  It has been creeping up on me.  But now my jeans are getting tight...and not in a good way.  In a muffin tops kind of way.  And not muffin tops in a good way.

So I am back to low carb eating for a few months.  THIS time I intend to stay mostly low carb for life!

You didn't buy that did you?  Naw.  Me neither.  I have great intentions but lousy follow through.  And that whole thing about portion control?  If I could do that, don't you think I would???  So it is back to low carb eating.  I intend to be very strict with myself.  Then in a few weeks I go to Alexandria to see my brother and sister-in-law and daughter and eating will once again be fun.  For the weekend.  Gotta get looser jeans and I don't mean by shopping.

So I fixed a tasty, yet not fun, NO BREAD, dinner.  I am giving you the recipes in case you want to loose weight, too. Now, you look GREAT, but just in case.

Also, no great B&B or dessert recipes for awhile.  Unless I get company.  Won't someone please visit me???

Mashed Cauliflower  (With green beans and pork chops)

This is a lot like mashed potatoes.  But with low carb cauliflower.  They taste pretty good!  Just don't tell yourself they are better for you, or you won't like them.

1 head of cauliflower  This makes a lot, but then you have leftovers!
1/2 onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup half and half.  You could use milk, too.
1/4 cup ricotta cheese  I had some ricotta cheese left over, so I used that.  Parmesan or cheddar would be good, too.

That's about it, except for s&p to taste and a bit of butter or olive oil for sautéing.

   

Start some water heating to steam the cauliflower,  Cut off all the green parts and cut the head into flowerets.  Place them in a steamer basket over the boiling water.

   

Heat some butter or EVOO in a large pan.  Sauté the onions until they are soft.  Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes more.  Place them in a large bowl.

   

Place the pork chops in the now empty, but not cleaned pan.  Cook until starting to brown and then turn them over.  Wash and trim the green beans.

   

In the meantime the cauliflower should be soft.  Place them, on top of the cooked onions in the large bowl.  Return the steamer basket to the boiling water.  Add more water if necessary.  DON'T let it burn dry.  Place the green beans in the steamer.

   

Add the milk and any cheese you might want (it is optional) to the cauliflower and using a stick blender, make the cauliflower as smooth as you desire.  Salt and pepper to taste.  It won't ever get as smooth and creamy as mashed potatoes, but it is still good.

   

By now the chops should be done and so should the green beans. Make sure there is no pink in the middle of the pork chops.  Place the beans in a bowl with a dot of butter.

   

 Toasted almonds make a great addition. Just 5 minutes in a toaster oven at 325.

   

I like strawberries for "dessert".  Actually I like strawberries on top of decadent baked goods for dessert, but this is what I do when low carbing.  Is that a word?  Spell check does not think so.

   

This is a perfectly nice dinner, even if you are not trying to eat low carb.  It's just KNOWING that you can't have those things is the problem.  I need a different mindset.

4 comments:

  1. I need to get rid of certain (ahem) breads in my life too. I love the mashed cauliflowers! That is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed catching up on your posts, Rebecca. The past week, we have returned to bread eating and it is all the fault of the second hand bread machine that we bought and were "testing" for several loafs. Ok so we know it works, and will now limit our tests or suspend for awhile. I have tried mashed cauliflower as part of the South Beach plan and string beans and almond go perfect. Who said low carb has to be boring as this meal wasn't. You got more snow than we did, all rain and wind here. Congrats to your mom on her birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so great! I'll make sure that I try this for dinner.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need a steamer. I don't have one!

    ReplyDelete