Sunday, March 10, 2013

Breakfast Casserole for Dinner


I have been busy working on the basement.  There WERE even more places to paint.  But that is DONE.  On the other hand, I know there will be touch up painting necessary after installing doors and tile and carpet.  Oh, yeah, and baseboards.  So I can't THROW away the rollers and brushes like I want to and put away the paint for the NEXT owner of this house.  Do I detect a little frustration?  Yes, I do.  Tired of painting?  Yes, I am.

So that explains why I haven't been keeping up writing about what we do.  Just too tired doing it to want to write about it.  Plus, I didn't take the time to get any pictures.  A picture-free blog is no fun. 

However, I did make some actual food!  My aunt gave me a breakfast casserole recipe.  Well, I had to modify it to make it low carb and then I had to modify it to make it a dinner.  This involved adding vegetables.  So I made a breakfast casserole for dinner.  Perhaps I'll call this one...

   

Sausage Zucchini Casserole

1 pound bulk sausage.  I used sweet Italian
1/2 onion, diced
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Herbs you like.  I added 1 teaspoon fennel, some dried sage and dried parsley.  Basil, oregano, fines herbes and Italian herbs would all work.
1 large zucchini.  I could have added 2
1 or 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
garlic salt and pepper to taste
4 eggs
1/4 cup Half and Half  (milk would be OK)
1/2 package shredded mozzarella

Prepare a square casserole baking dish by spraying with Pam.  Pre-heat the oven to 400.

   

Put a Tablespoon of EVOO in a large skillet.  Add the diced onions and cook until they are soft.  Add the garlic and the sausage.

   

 Cook until the sausage is no longer pink. 

   

Add the herbs and the chopped zucchini. 

   

Cook for about 5 minutes until the zucchini starts to soften.  Add the tomatoes. Season with the salt and pepper. 

   

Stir everything together and scrape the meat mixture into the baking dish.  Mix the eggs and the Half and Half (or milk) in a medium bowl and mix with a fork.  Pour the egg mixture over the meat in the baking dish.

   

Sprinkle the mozzarella over the whole thing and put it in the oven for 15 minutes.  I used a lot of mozzarella and it was good, but I could have gotten by with just a sprinkling. There was a lot of delicious, stringy cheese ,though and we enjoyed the heck out of it.  For several meals!

   


I served it with low carb fruit.  I usually opt for strawberries.

1 comment:

  1. Agree with you on the frustration of painting, Rebecca...been there and done that too as have most homeowners at some point. The breakfast casserole would also work for dinner for us and my side dish would be a salad.

    ReplyDelete