Sunday, January 13, 2013

Light And Airy Baked Cake Donuts 2.0

 
   
A few weeks ago I made the Light And Airy donuts from a book by Jessica Beck, Powdered Peril.  At the time my daughter and I discussed the possibility of making them using lemon zest and that is what I did yesterday. I will write down the ingredients here, but if you want the steps in more detail, go to the original post and check that out.

Light And Airy Cake Donuts with LEMON

1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/8 cup canola oil
1 Tablespoon melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt

My Additions

lemon zest from one lemon
lemon juice from 1/2 the same lemon
1/2 cup powdered sugar
lemon curd (optional)

I had plans to meet my friends at the library to work on our quilts and I wanted to take them a treat.  I also wanted to try the new lemon version of these donuts and I didn't want to have to eat them all by myself.  That meant getting up earlier than usual and baking so I did as much as I could the night before.

I sifted the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt in a Tupperware bowl and sealed it.  I though about putting the liquid ingredients in another one, but didn't know if they would get weird overnight in the refrigerator. 
 
In the morning I turned the oven to 365 and greased the mini muffin pan

   

In a large bowl I mixed the egg and sugar and then added the rest of the liquid ingredients.  Next I mixed in the dry and added the zest from one lemon.  Don't forget to wash it first.

   

Use a small cookie scoop to fill the muffin tins and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown.

   

While they are baking, hold the lemon cut side up (this keeps the seeds from falling into the glaze) and squeeze the lemon into a small bowl.  Add the powdered sugar.  Stir until it is smooth and creamy.  If it is too thick add more juice, too thin, more sugar.  You don't need a lot.

   

If you choose to add the lemon curd filling, use a frosting bag and small round tip.  I like to use a quart size freezer Ziploc bag.  The storage ones don't hold up as well as the freezer ones.  Cut the corner and use a Wilton tip.  Put  3 or 4 Tablespoons of lemon curd in the bag and set it aside.

   

Remove the donuts from the oven when they start to turn a golden brown.  Cool them slightly.  I like to use a plastic knife to release them from the muffin pan.

   

Turn each donut "hole" over and insert the tip into the bottom of the donut. Hold them in your hand to fill them.  I just did it this way to show you how.  I didn't have an extra hand for the camera!   Squeeze gently. Then move it over a bit and do it again.  You don't want to over fill it as it will ooze out.  Then dip the tops in the glaze, and let them set up on a rack.

I put them in a travel container, got my books to return to the library and the quilt materials and I was off.  Good friends, good books, good eats.  You can't beat that with a stick!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment