Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Humidity

This has been one heck of a hot and humid summer.

It has rained more days than not.  Thunderstorms are a constant.

Hot, hot, hot and humid makes for great growing conditions.  Even great weed production.  And I ought to know.  I just spoke with a man about helping me with the growth on the driveway.  Weed eating on a slope is no longer something I can do. 

 

But the weirdest and most gross, was the plant growing in the window sill in the basement.  It was also the easiest to fix.  We just had to remove the screen and give everything a good scrubbing.  ONE day we will have some concrete under the doors and windows to keep the splashing to a minimum, but for right now, I have a bucket of sudsy water and I am not afraid to use it.

 

So I shouldn't be surprised that I had mildew growing on the carpet in the screen porch.  Screens let in sun and fresh air and, oh, yes, rain.  Snow gets in there, too. but that has NOT been an issue lately.

 

I mixed some bleach and water to kill the mildew in the screen porch.  Usually the heat of summer kills it, but it has been so humid that we are growing a carpet of moss!  I wonder if the bleach will harm the carpet, but at this point, I will try anything.

It reminds me of the joke about the 90 year old man who went to the doctor for a physical.  He was marrying a 24 year old woman and the doctor expressed concern.

"Aren't you worried about the age difference?  She's so young and it IS your honeymoon.  Sometimes the excitement of the wedding night can cause heart issues."

The old man shrugged his shoulders and said, "If she dies, she dies."

And that is how I feel about the carpet.

1 comment:

  1. HA HA! That was funny, and yes we have humidity issues too.

    ReplyDelete