Thursday, July 25, 2013

Chicken Sliders


I have a few frozen yeast rolls left over from having company.  I bought some chicken tenders to make a BBQ pizza with a Boboli crust.  I don't need ALL of the chicken for the pizza, do I?

Of course not.

So I thought I would experiment with some chicken sliders using the yeast rolls for the "buns".  What do you think?  Yeah!  Me, too.

The main thing is to remember to start about 3 hours before you want to eat.

Chicken Sliders with PW's Buttered Rolls.

Chicken Sliders

Chicken tenders
frozen yeast dinner rolls

Then the fixings of your choice.

For the BBQ sliders I used:

 

Cheddar Cheese, mine was shredded
thinly sliced red onion
Romaine leaves, torn small to fit.  Or reach in a bag of salad, like I did.
Avocado, sliced thin
Tomato, sliced thin.  A Roma tomato is the perfect size.
BBQ sauce

For the Thai sliders I used

 

Tomato
onion
Romaine
Thai Peanut Sauce

OK.  The only Thai thing is the sauce.  Work with me here.

 

Heat a cast iron pan for a few minutes, until a large pat of butter melts.  Remove from the heat to cool for a few minutes.  Roll the frozen bread rolls in the melted butter, cover them and let them rise for about 2 hours.  They will get big and soft and poufy.

 

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Melt some more butter and brush the tops of the rolls.  Sprinkle them with a bit of salt and some chopped herbs.  I used Italian Seasoning.  I think it might be fun to use sesame seeds next time.

 

Cook for about 15 minutes or until they start to brown.  Let them cool a few minutes and then remove them to a cooling rack.  When they are cool, slice them like a bun.

 

While the rolls/buns are cooking get out the chicken tenders and remove that ridiculous tendon.  I don't know why chickens have to make this so difficult.

I placed a wax paper on top of the tenders and pounded them so they would be a bit flatter.  Then cut them bigger than the buns.  They will shrink a bit.  Or just cook them right from the package and then cut them into bun sized bits.  They will cook in just a few minutes.  Just long enough to slice a tomato and cut up an avocado and an onion.  Keep an eye on the chicken chunks and turn them over when they are done on one side.

 

Place the veggies and the cheese, if you are using it, on a plate for each person to make the slider of choice.

 

I tried one of each, but I like the BBQ one the best.  Both were pretty good, though.

But the rolls?   They were perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment