Friday, December 7, 2012
Most Of The Top
I finished the center of the quilt top and then had to construct the corners. For this I had to cut a whole bunch of setting triangles. When Carolyn at Trinity Quilt Shop explained it, I thought she was saying, "Set In Triangles." But it is setting triangles and this is what you cut to make the squares fit flush to the borders. They were the easiest thing to do so far. Cut squares and cut them into triangles. Done.
It may also amuse you to note that I completely missed the fact that the center was turned on end to make a diamond pattern. I don't know why I didn't notice it, but I didn't. I also don't know what I thought I was making these corners for, as that is what makes the whole thing square again. I was blindly following the directions without really looking at the whole thing. That is frequently my attention deficit. I see what is front of me and not the whole picture. It is why I can't write good book reviews and don't really care for most poetry. I'm very literal and don't get nuances very well.
So, back to the amazing quilt that I didn't know I was making! To make the corners, I put setting triangles on either side of a star block. Make four for four corners. Say that three times fast!
Then I put a framed block in between two star blocks. I did remember to look at colors so that I didn't have the same ones in the same corner. These blocks of three then had a setting triangle sewn on at each end. Next I placed all the pieces on the floor to determine the best placement of colors and started more pinning.
After pinning the first one, I remembered to unpin it and check to make sure that the edges of the blocks in the new corners lined up with the edges of the blocks already sewn. Shew! That was a close one, because they were not lined up and I would have had to take out a huge row of stitches.
The four corners went together pretty fast and then I had to figure out where to place them on the center of the quilt.
Now I have to trim the edges and cut the borders. That should be fairly straightforward as it is just cutting long strips and sewing them together. Then cutting the strips to size and sewing them on. The problem is that every time I think I know what I am doing and get complacent, that is when I make a stupid mistake and end up taking out more stitches than I leave in. So I will say that this next part is going to be very difficult and I must be very careful!