Monday, December 10, 2012

Meatloaf


   

 I crave comfort food when it is rainy days.  I particularly like meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  So that is what we are having.  Our son Travis,  called it Loaf Meat when he was a child, so naturally we still call it that.

Meatloaf

1 pound (or so) of ground beef
1/2 cup diced onion
1 egg
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
dash of fines herbes and dill (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup milk
1/4 cup ketchup (or catsup)
1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

Preheat the oven to 350.

   

Dump the meat in a large bowl.  Dice the onions.Then add all the rest of the ingredients.

   

Use a fork to mix everything up  I like to let it sit for a bit so everything gets soaked through.

   

Put everything in a loaf pan.  I like to top it with a bit of ketchup (or catsup, whatever), but it is not required.  Bake for 1 1/2 hours. 

Let the finished meatloaf sit for a bit to firm up.  If you try to serve it now it will fall apart.  Tastes great, but doesn't look like a slice of meatloaf.  We couldn't wait for it to firm up.  Too hungry.   Tomorrow I will fry up a piece and make a sandwich on sourdough bread.  Can't wait...and I'm not even hungry.

I didn't show any vegetables or salad.  But you should really have something green with this meal.  We didn't, but you should.

2 comments:

  1. Quite coincidental that I was thinking of meatloaf too after adding a recipe in Ina Garten's latest cookbook (borrowed from library). The one there has a garlic sauce which might be an interesting twist, or not. Also it's made with the beef-pork-veal mix which is hard to get around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt looks like it is coming along. I am sorry you have been ill; I hope you are feeling better. Your meatloaf recipe looks great; I will have to give it a go. I never make meatloaf the same way twice, though. I tend to use whatever I have on hand - bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, oatmeal, rice ...

    ReplyDelete