Thursday, May 10, 2012

Quilting Magic

I learned a new technique for this new quilt.  It is a quick and easy way to make half-square triangles.  I have to make a LOT (146!) of them for this quilt and many different color combinations. 

I cut out a bunch of 8 inch squares out of each color.  Then I took two colors and put them together, face to face.  On the back of the lighter color I drew a line from corner to corner, basically making an X.  I used a pen because I will then cut right on the line.  Using another color I then drew another line from center to center, basically a plus sign.  You will not stitch on this line

                                      

The instructor may not need to pin them together, but I do.  I pinned it so that I could sew 1/4 inch from the X  that ran diagonally across the square. 

                                        

Stitch a seam on either side of the X in both directions. 
                                       
  
Then cut on ALL the lines.

                                       












Use the square up ruler to make them exactly 3.5 inches square. 

                                        

A side note here.  We were told to iron open each seam to keep it from becoming too bulky at the seams.  This isn't working for me.  Some of the seams are opening up at the center.  I may be pulling too hard or using too long of a stitch.  So I shortened my stitch and I will be pressing to the dark side where I can!  I ironed the triangles open to squares and then trimmed off the wee little bits at the corners.  So there is 8 of the 146 I need to make.  This is going to take some time!

                                            



No comments:

Post a Comment