Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Vegetables When The Vegetarian Is Not Here


Lee spent a long time scraping one of our hills using the scraping blade behind the tractor. The rain had made deep crevices and he had to drag the scraper over them many times to smooth them out. Then he started the burn pile that had been building up. I spent the morning working on the quilt. At dinner time he did not want soup. I guess it seemed too hot after such a hard day. So I made some zucchini and a salad. I try not to be boring, so here is how I made it.

Zucchini with Polska Kielbasa

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
Persian Lime Olive Oil
1/2 Polska Kielbasa, I used Turkey. It's lower in fat.
1 Tablespoon crumbled Feta cheese
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro. You could use basil, but I had cilantro, so...

Oliveto in Roanoke has the Persian Lime Olive Oil or you can use whatever flavor you have. But the Persian Lime is very good. It gives a wonderful flavor to the zucchini and makes it different from the usual. Saute the onions for a few minutes and then add the garlic. Garlic can get bitter if over cooked so don't put it in early.




Now here is where I get weird. I peel the Kielbasa. I know you can eat the skin, but I don't know what it is, so I take it off. You do what pleases you. Afterwards it looks like a naked mole rat, but I do it anyway. (DON'T look up naked mole rat. You will be sorry. See? I warned you.)




Add the zucchini and Kielbasa and cook for just a few minutes. I don't like soggy zucchini.



Here is my hint for chopping cilantro. Tear off a small bunch. Rinse under running water and then shake off the excess. Pat dry in a paper towel and then finely chop.

Add the feta and the chopped cilantro at the end and serve.

For the salad I used a mix of baby lettuces and romaine blend. I added chopped carrots, celery, avocado, apple and used a raspberry vinaigrette. Finish it off with a whole wheat roll that we dipped in Tuscan Herb Olive Oil from Oliveto with a small splash of 18 year old Balsamic Vinegar. A nice meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment