Thursday, February 16, 2012

Tortellini Cilantro Soup


I have a recipe for Tortellini Basil Soup from Cooking Light. But I don't have basil. I usually grow my own, so I therefore have an aversion to paying a fortune for a few leaves. But it is still February and too cold for the garden. So I bought some cilantro and used it in the soup. I liked it. Basil adds a kind of licorice flavor and is delicious, but I really like cilantro and it worked in this dish.

Tortellini Cilantro Soup

4 cups chicken broth. Either 2 cans or one of the boxes of broth works fine
9 ounces of fresh or frozen tortellini. I couldn't find fresh last shopping trip
1 15 ounce can of white beans. I used navy but cannellini works great.
1 cup chopped and seeded tomatoes
2 Tablespoons of chopped cilantro
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
Parmesan cheese
pepper

Bring the broth to a boil in a Dutch Oven over medium-high heat. You can substitute Vegetarian broth if you wish. Add the tortellini and cook for about 6 minutes. Frozen will take a bit longer. Don't' let it boil hard or the tortellini will come unwrapped!



While the tortellini is cooking, cut off the top and the bottom of the tomatoes. Then quarter them lengthwise. This makes it easy to cut out the white bit along the center and use your thumb to scrape out the seeds. Then slice the tomatoes lengthwise and cut crosswise for cubes of tomatoes. I used Romas as they are the cheapest and I think they go great in soups.




Rinse and drain the beans. No, I didn't drain them in the can. I just put them there for the picture! Add them with the tomatoes to the soup. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and add the cilantro, vinegar and salt.




Ladle into soup bowls and top with fresh grated Parmesan, or the green canister kind if that is what you have. Sprinkle with fresh ground black pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment