Wednesday, February 15, 2012

L:ight At The End Of The Tunnel



I wish I could say I am getting better at this quilting thing. I am afraid I am just getting less concerned with getting it right and more concerned with getting it done! I managed to get the quilt blocks put together and start on the inner border in class. Our 3 hour class. Where I spend way too much time taking out stitches and not enough time putting in stitches.

Doris took my comment about viewing it from a cantering horse and not finding the errors in construction and raised the bar to viewing the work from a GALLOPING horse. Does this make Doris less self-critical? Or does it mean I can't see worth a damn whether I am on the back of a horse or bent over and squinting at my sewing machine? Try leaning way back and squinting. Doesn't it look pretty good?

No matter! Here is what I did today. And may I point out that I didn't take out any stitches or say any curse words during the work on this quilt... today. A fact of which I am proud. ( Notice that that sentence does not end in a preposition. I hope this is a fact of which my editor daughter is proud!)



I finished putting on the inner border. No cutting was necessary due to the perfection in my sewing. Or it could have been a random act of kindness performed by the sewing fairies.







Then I decided how to lay out the Flying Geese borders. There were many choices of patterns and directions to choose. I did the top going one way and the bottom going the other with the same layout of color choices. I hope you can see it.




I had to sew them one at a time. There may be a magical way to assemble them, but it worked and they all fit, so I am not complaining. I am getting a wee bit proud, although there is no reason for the pride. It's just there. Or, I am just glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Unless that is a train wreck heading my way!

Tomorrow I will add the last border pieces. And they will have to be pieced to make them fit. No sewing fairies there. Then we learn how to assemble the quilt with the back and the middle and do the actual quilting. I must mentally prepare myself for a lack of skill in this area. OHHMMMM...OHHMMM... not working so good.

Of course, it is entirely possible that I WILL be good. I am good at needlepoint and crewel. So I guess that means I need to count on hand finishing the quilt. I DO have a long flight coming up. I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment