I made a baby quilt for my older granddaughter. It was a Rubber Duck Quilt with different rubber ducks on it. It was a quilt for a young child. But now Rachel is 4 and therefore a big girl! I had the urge to make another quilt and I had made on for all of my grandchildren, so I thought a big girl quilt would be fun.
I found a few designs I thought would be fun and I had a FaceTime visit with my granddaughter so she could pick one out. I thought she might enjoy having a connection to the quilt I made for her. She chose one that had a bunch of dresses embellished with cute details.
AFTER we decided on the quilt I discovered that the dress pattern was on pre-printed fabric. And the fabric was discontinued. This meant there was no template to make the basic dress shape. I took a lot of pictures of the pattern up close and spent a long time printing it out and then playing around with the size and shape on cardstock until I had the shape that I thought would work.
I cut it out and used it as a template to cut out dress shapes in different fabrics with small details. I used Steam A Seam fusible web to fuse the dress shape onto a plain square of white fabric.
Then I embedded each one with bits of lace or ribbon to make cute little dresses.
I sewed several different apron styles similar to the ones in the inspiration quilt. There were no instructions, so I had to wing it, but I like the end results.
I made and embellished 15 different dresses. I really like the way they turned out. Next I sewed a border of dotted yellow, blue or purple on each dress square.
I added a pink sashing and now I am ready to add the border.
The cat likes to "help"