Thursday, October 4, 2012

Kipling House Quiche

   

This summer we all went to Lee's hometown of Escanaba, Michigan.  He hadn't been back since his college days. He met cousins that he had last seen when they were children and now they are grandparents!  Lee found a really great Bed and Breakfast in the nearby town of Kipling on the Internet and we all stayed there.  It was the Kipling House

The breakfasts were wonderful and I particularly liked the quiche we had there.  It was taller and silkier than any quiche I have ever had.  Meghan, the innkeeper  ( www.kiplinghouse.com ), was gracious enough to share her recipe.  Mine didn't turn out as fabulous as hers, even though it was wonderful.  The top got a little too brown.  Next time I make it I will lower the temperature a bit.  My oven is kind of wonky, that is a technical term, and the temperature can vary by a LOT.  So I will suggest 335 for the temperature, particularly if you have a wonky oven..

Kipling House Quiche

1 Pre-made Pie Crust
8 to 10 pieces pre-cooked bacon
5 oz. Swiss cheese, grated
10 eggs
4 - 5 cups of half and half  It seems like a lot, but this serves a lot!
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

You will need a spring form pan.  This CANNOT fit in a regular pie pan!!!

 
    

 
Take the pie crust out of the box and let it rest and warm up a bit on the counter while you get out all the ingredients.  Pre-heat the oven to 335.  Spray the tightly closed pan with Pam.  Set aside.

Put the pre-cooked bacon on a plate and microwave for about 2 minutes to get it crispy.  Drain on a paper towel.

I used a rolling pin to make the crust a wee bit bigger.  Don't go crazy or it will tear.  I folded mine into fourths and then placed it with the point in the center.  Or you can just take the crust from the package and center it in the pan.  Use your fingers to smooth the wrinkles and make the whole thing fit tight to the inside of the pan.

   

Place the bacon strips to cover the bottom of the pan and cover them with the Swiss cheese.

   

I used a blender to mix the rest of the ingredients.

   

 Here is a hint for you.  I sometimes lose track of how many eggs I have put in things...phone ringing, cats bothering....  So I suggest putting the egg shells in the sink.  You can always come back and count them.  It is easier than trying to figure how many broken yolks make one egg!

   

I could only fit in 4 cups of half and half in my blender. 

   
   
After blending I poured a bit more half and half into the blender and then poured the whole thing, carefully, over the Swiss cheese.
   
   

Bake for 1 hour in the oven.  I put mine in at 350 but the top got a little too cooked so that is why I am telling you 335 for the temperature.  Don't blame Meghan, she suggested 335 to 350 and I should have gone with the lower temperature.  After 1 hour, turn off the oven and open the door for about 10 minutes.  Then put the quiche on the counter to cool for about 20 more minutes.  It needs time to set up.

   

Use a plastic knife or spatula to loosen the edges from the pan.  Gently release the spring and lift it off.  I cut the quiche right on the bottom of the pan and lifted the generous slices to the plates.

I made this for a dinner so it was served with a salad.  It was creamy and delicious, but Meghan's was better!
 

 
   
 

1 comment:

  1. While I have made quiche before, never like this recipe which looks really good and very rich...and very delicious I'm sure with leftovers for more meals ...the best part!

    ReplyDelete