Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Shortbread

   

When working in the Buchanan Library recently, I came across a book that looked interesting.  It was waiting to be processed, so I made sure the labels and all the appropriate stamps were in place and then applied the tape on the spine.  It was one type of book I really enjoy...a murder mystery with recipes!  And BLUEBERRY ones!

Well, I couldn't check it out yet, so I copied a couple of recipes while I wait for it to be processed.  I will read it when it becomes available, but in the meantime I made...

Blueberry Lemon Shortbread

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoon lemon zest I didn't measure it, just one lemon minus the green stamp on the skin.
3/4 cup dried blueberries
1 cup (2 sticks) butter

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix the flour, salt, sugar, lemon zest and dried blueberries in a large bowl.

   

Cut the butter into small chunks and cut it into the flour mixture until crumbly.

At this point the recipe wanted me to keep mixing until the dough comes together.  It didn't.

   

So I put everything in my Kitchen-Aid mixer and let it run.  In just a few seconds it all came together in a big ball.  I was worried I would have to add milk or something as it looked like it would never come together.  Modern technology.  Ain't it grand?

   

The recipe suggested chilling the dough for 30 minutes, but our house was pretty chilly already and it wasn't sticky, so I just went ahead.  If it is summer or the dough seems sticky, go ahead and chill it.

Place the ball of dough between two sheets of wax paper.  Roll it out in a (mostly) rectangle until it is 1/2 inch thick.  I used the edge of a table knife to make the edges more even and trimmed off some of it.  Then I cut it into squares.  I made the bits on the edges into a log and flattened it and then cut more squares. 

Place these on an ungreased cookie sheet or a Silpat, about 1 inch apart.

   

Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until lightly browned.  Mine took 17 minutes.

Cool on a cooling rack and place in an airtight container.

I was making chocolate dipped strawberries for the meal I was serving with the Blueberry Lemon Bars, so I went ahead and dipped a few of them in chocolate.  Both ways were delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Speaking from personal tasting experience, these turned out very delicious and the added chocolate dip was a bonus!

    ReplyDelete