Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Ham and Mango Chutney Bites

   

I was going to call these sandwiches, or as my friend Doris calls them, sammies.  But they were too small.  Just a bite or two, really.

Fellow bloggers were stopping by on their way through Southwest Virginia and I wanted to try something new. A recent visit to the Fresh Market FORCED me to buy some Mango Chutney.  I didn't have a plan for it, but a few recipes I read recently had used some and I wanted to have some on hand.  So now I needed to find something using the chutney.  The jar suggested chicken or ham.  We ALWAYS eat chicken, so ham it is.  But the chutney is sweet, so I thought I could use some goat cheese to offset that.  And an idea is born.

Ham and Mango Chutney Bites

Baguette
1/2 pound very thinly sliced ham, I used Black Forest ham.  Nice and smoky.
Mango Chutney
Goat cheese
Honey Mustard
Olive Oil

   

Thinly slice the baguette.  I wanted it toasted, but it was VERY crunchy.  If you want a softer bite skip this whole step. Brush with OO and toast in a toaster oven until lightly brown.

Heat oven to 350.

   

Spread each piece with a wee bit of honey mustard.  It added a nice little bite of spice.

  

I ALWAYS cut the brown edges of the processed ham.  This is a pain, but I don't like the texture of the edges in the middle of a bite of the tender ham.  The dog and cats are fond of this compulsion and are thrilled to find these additions to their diets placed in their bowls!  Place a generous serving on top of each slice of bread.

   

Spread a small amount of goat cheese on top of the ham.  Place the slices on a cookie sheet and heat in the oven for 5 or 6 minutes or so.  I just wanted to get the ham warm and the cheese creamy and melty.
 
 

   
 

 
Top them off with about 1/2 teaspoon of the chutney and serve warm.

1 comment:

  1. As one of the visiting bloggers, I can happily state that these were very tasty. Thanks, from the taste testers - both of us!

    ReplyDelete