Saturday, March 17, 2012

Roast Vegetable Frittata


Part of the problem with making roast vegetables for a few people is the amount you usually have left over. This is especially true if you use a butternut squash for one of the vegetables. Of course they are good and good for you so don't leave them out! I happen to like leftovers as they make an easy decision about what to have for the next meal. Sometimes I like to play around with them and make something a little different. I have made BBQ hash with leftover roast vegetables. Just cut them up in small cubes and reheat with your favorite BBQ sauce. Last night I made them into a frittata. It added the protein I wanted and was quick and easy.

Roast Vegetable Frittata...with Leftover Veggies.

Left Over Roast Vegetables
Butter
5 eggs , use more if you are feeding a bunch of people
1/4 cup milk
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons goat cheese, crumbled
Swiss cheese , shredded, if desired. I thought it would be good to add this on top, but I didn't use any in mine to save on calories. Feel free to use it if you like.

Preheat the oven to 435. Chop the vegetables in small cubes.




In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, milk and mustard. Add the goat cheese, or really any strongly flavored cheese that you like.




Melt the butter in a cast iron pan. Add the vegetables and cook for a few minutes on the stove to warm them through. Add the egg mixture and cook until it is mostly set. If you want the Swiss cheese, this would be a good time to add it.




Place the pan in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until the eggs are completely set. Let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

Lee's comment when he saw my notes about using up the veggies..." How can you say that you are using up the leftovers when we now have leftover frittata?" Good thing I know he is being funny and not critical! I have a cast iron pan and I'm not afraid to use it!

I have no intention of taking the frittata and making something new with THAT. We will just have to eat the same thing two days in a row. That is just one of the things you have to do when you don't have a bunch of people to feed! If I had fewer veggies I would have used a smaller pan and fewer eggs and finished it in one meal. Maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment