I am trying to type with a purring, shedding cat that is clawing my lap in a friendly fashion, so please excuse any typos or distracted thinking. I woke up to a rainy day. My plan had been to take some pictures of my favorite trees that are budding out. The Red Buds are starting to get really pretty and the Bradford Pears are white and lush. So I changed plans and have been in the craft room trying to get the quilt quilted.
Here is what I learned. Keeping the tension correct when turning large mounds of fabric is tough. I had to pick out the stitches and start over. Fortunately this is when I started and I got better.
It is important to look at the fabric and see where you will start and end. You have to make sure you won't end up with so much fabric trying to get through the sewing machine that it won't work. There were a few times I had to stop and cut the thread, turn the quilt and start from a different direction. Thoughts of a new sewing machine for quilting run rampant. Good thing I am cheap and unemployed.
Next time I will top stitch the quilt with a matching thread. I am not sure I like the contrasting thread. Also, it shows where I was less than successful in keeping a straight line.
I also learned that I will not be doing complicated patterns. Just get it quilted and get out is my new philosophy.
I outlined a few things that I had "fussy cut" to center them in the squares. I kind of liked it. I think it would look better with a back stitch on the top of the quilt, but it would look worse on the back side. I guess I am happy with the compromise.
I cut the fabric for the binding and cut the excess fabric around the quilt and I am ready to get it finished.
I spent the whole day inside and didn't realize what a nice day I was missing. So here is the tree I can see out my back door and from outside the craft room. Not a bad view.