Sunday, November 17, 2013

Creamy Chocolate Tartlets

I found a recipe for chocolate tartlets.  Bite size treats are good for tea parties and I love tea parties!  I will also be serving treats to the B&B guests, so it is good to try recipes out in advance.  You can gloss over a mistake with a friend, but paying guests may be a bit more picky!  You saw through that, didn't you?  I wanted something chocolate.  So I made them.

 

Creamy Chocolate Tartlets

1 cup graham cracker crumbs  That is about 16 squares, crushed.
9 Tablespoons butter, divided use.  That is 1 stick, plus 1 Tablespoon
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 Tablespoon honey
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup white chocolate chips  I should have used some sort of melting or dipping chocolate, but it tasted great!

 

Spray an assortment of tartlet shells with Pam. It will make about 10. Set aside

 

If you didn't buy graham cracker crumbs, and I didn't, place the crackers in a gallon Ziploc bag.  Press out the air and seal.  Use a rolling pin to crush the crackers to crumbs.  I did half at a time.

Melt all but 1 Tablespoon of the stick of butter, or 7 Tablespoons, in a sauce pan.  When melted add the crumbs and stir until they are moist.

 


Place a Tablespoon or two in each tartlet pan and press to make a shell.  Make sure you have enough at the top so that it won't break off when removed from the pan later.  Chill for about 15 minutes.

 

While they are chilling, break up the bittersweet chocolate and place it in a microwavable bowl. 

You can use a double boiler, and it would be better if you did, because you can burn chocolate in the microwave.  But I don't have one.  So I used the microwave on 50 percent and just put it in for about 30 seconds at a time, until melted.

Add the rest of the butter (2 Tablespoons) and the honey to the broken chocolate chunks and melt them.  Being careful not to burn it.  I have done that and it is very disappointing.  Unless you have extra chocolate sitting around, and who does that???

 

Stir until it is smooth and add the heavy cream.  Stir again until the cream is all mixed in.

 


Get the tartlet shells out of the refrigerator and fill with the chocolate.  Return them to the fridge and chill for about 3 hours.

 

I had some white chocolate chips.  I melted them in the microwave and dropped about a teaspoon of melted white chocolate on top of each chocolate tartlet.  It did not look like the pretty white disk floating on the chocolate pool as the picture in the recipe showed!  Next time I will try some of the melting or dipping chocolate that you can get.  But I had the white chocolate chips and they tasted great!



3 comments:

  1. I am amazed as always by your cooking skills. Oh, and any time you need a focus group to discuss which desserts are the best, you know, for your bed and breakfast, just let me know. My girls and I will be your focus group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go on and tempt a girl, why don't you! Those look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummo! What I like about your treats is not only are they tasty, but they just look good. Makes a great presentation on a display plate.

    ReplyDelete