Friday, June 5, 2015

Chicken Enchiladas

The enchiladas that I have gotten at restaurants are frequently too cheesy and the sauce is not my favorite. I found this one years ago in one of those recipe books that call to you as you wait in line at the grocery check out.  This recipe has just enough cheese to be tasty, but not overpowering and it is quite tasty.  It is also easy to make, which is a plus.

 

Chicken Enchiladas

1 3/4 cup sour cream, fat free is OK
1/2 cup chopped green onions
2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided use
you can add 1 Tablespoon chopped jalapenos if you like...I don't like
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided use
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
3/4 to 1 pound chicken breast, sliced into 1X3 inch slices.
1 teaspoon minced garlic
8 flour tortillas
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup salsa
1 tomato, seeded and chopped

 

Heat the oven to 350°.  Spray a 9X13 baking dish with Pam.  Set aside.

 

Place the sour cream, green onions, half of the cilantro and one teaspoon of the cumin in a small bowl. Mix well and set aside.

 

Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the yellow onions with the1/2 teaspoon cumin until they are translucent.  Then add the thinly sliced chicken.  Sauté for about 4 minutes, until the chicken is no longer pink.  Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.

 

Divide the chicken among the 8 tortillas, placing then down the middle.  Spread the sour cream mixture on the chicken, roll up the tortilla and place it seam side down in the prepared baking dish.

 

Sprinkle the cheese over the tortillas and cover the dish with foil.  Bake for 30 minutes,

 

Remove the foil and spoon the salsa, tomatoes and the reserved cilantro down the middle of the tortillas. Serve hot.

 

These are delicious, with just the right amount of cheese and no enchilada sauce, which is too acidic for my taste.

   


6 comments:

  1. Finally, I'm looking at one of your delicious recipes right after I ate lunch! That looks like a recipe I could follow. My daughter loves to fix things like this. She buys rotisserie chickens and picks off the meat instead of cooking it. I wish I could go to Buchanan tomorrow for the festivities but I already agreed to take my dad to the lake. Are you going to town?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look nice and light. Delicious, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delish. I'm going to do this recipe for supper tomorrow for sure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only change I would make is using a store bought rotissiere chicken which we usually buy at least once a week and have cooked chicken for several recipes. Otherwise, looks like a nice and easy recipe, my favorite type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've made this dish twice, now, and its GREAT. There is just the two of us now, and this recipe makes enough for 2 meals. I make the full recipe, and freeze what we don't eat. Taste just as good the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me know. I'm glad you like it. It is one of our favorites.

      Delete