Thursday, June 18, 2015

Caramelized Onion Pot Roast

I found a recipe in the Sunday Roanoke Times.  It was for a pot roast that you cook in a Crock-Pot.  It sounded easy and delicious, so I rounded up some guinea pigs guests and bought a big hunk o' meat.

 

Caramelized Onion Pot Roast

1 Tablespoon oil
1 (3 to 3 1/2 pound) chuck roast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 medium onions
1 1/2 cups beef broth...I used beef base and water
3/4 cup beer.  I used a little beer and it was 7 ounces.  I needed 6, so I had a swallow left over.
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar


I made a few substitutions that I will explain. 

 

Heat the oil in  a large non-stick skillet.  Cook the roast over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until browned on both sides.  Sprinkle the meat with the salt and pepper.

 

While the roast is browning, slice up the onions.  I had big ones and used three.  Place the onion slices in the bottom of the slow cooker.  Then place the browned meat on top of them. 

 

I had some beef base, which is essentially beef broth in concentrated form.  I used 1 1/2 teaspoons of the beef base and 1 1/2 cups warm water and stirred to dissolve.  Then add the beer, brown sugar, mustard and vinegar. 

 

I had some honey Dijon mustard, so I used 4 Tablespoons honey Dijon and 1 Tablespoon brown sugar.  Not for more sweetness, but the flavor. ( It was really good and with more flavor than any other Pot Roast I have made!)

 

Mix them together and pour over the roast and onions in the slow cooker.

Turn it on to low and go somewhere else for 6 to 8 hours.  I put it in at 10 and served it at 6:00.

The meat fell apart nicely and the onions were perfectly lovely when paired with the meat.  I made it with gravy and mashed potatoes and now have left overs for sandwiches!

 

I made the gravy with.....

Gravy

2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce  Don't try to say the whole thing.  It is Wooster sauce.
1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet
s&p
about 2 cups of the liquid left in the Crock-Pot.

 

Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the flour.  Cook for a few minutes until thickened and add the liquid from the slow cooker.  Stir with a whisk and add the flavorings to taste.  Stir until the lumps are broken up and the gravy is smooth.  Add more liquid  if needed.

 

Pour over the Pot Roast, the onions and the mashed potatoes and resolve to diet tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. This is the kind of meal I grew up on. Roast, potatoes and gravy every Sunday. We still do it from time to time and LOVE it! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you said to add beer it seemed like an even better recipe, until I saw the light beer. I am not a huge beer drinker, wine more often, but light beers just seem a waste of time and tastebuds (just saying). However, the end result looked like a tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete