Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Baked Lemon Sour Cream Donuts

I bought some lemons and then didn't use them.  I started searching for something I could bake to use them up.  I opened a drawer to get out a casserole dish and saw my Wilton donut pans.  What a good idea.  Lemon donuts!  But not just lemon.  How about I use some sour cream?  Sounds like a plan.

And while donuts are not usually considered healthy, these are baked, not fried.  And I used lemon which is a fruit.  So there.

 

Baked Lemon Sour Cream Donuts

2 cups flour,  I used

1 cup flour
1 cup cake flour because that is all the cake flour I had.  I can't tell a difference between cake flour and regular flour, but I am new at this donut baking business.

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup milk or buttermilk if you have it.
2 eggs
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon extract
zest of one lemon  Go ahead and zest two because you will need some for the

 

Glaze

1/3 cup powdered sugar
zest of one lemon
1 drop yellow food coloring, optional
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
3 teaspoons milk or I used half and half

The glaze is optional.  You can just dust the finished donuts with powdered sugar.  It's a lot faster and cleaner, but not as lemony.

 

Heat the oven to 425°.  Spray the donut pans with Pam and set aside.

 

Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.  Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them with a fork.  Add the eggs and them all the rest of the wet ingredients, including the zest from one of the lemons.

 

Carefully mix until blended and them use a small measuring cup to fill the donut shaped depressions in the prepared baking pan.

 

I wet a paper towel and cleaned off the middle peg where the batter spilled.  Bake for 9 to 11 minutes.  The surface should spring back when touched and they should just start to brown.  The bottom will be a lot browner than the top.

Let cool and them remove to a cooling rack.  When cool dust with powdered sugar or glaze.

 

Mix all the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.  You may add sugar it is too thin or milk if it is too thick.  I made mine a bit thin as I didn't want to overwhelm myself with sugar.  Place a piece of waxed paper under the cooling rack to catch the drips and drizzle the glaze over the donuts. 

 


Enjoy with a hot beverage or glass of milk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment