Sunday, July 5, 2015

Sleepytime Extra

I have a hard time getting to sleep. If I manage to get to sleep, I wake up in the middle of the night and only fall back to sleep when most people start getting up for the day.

I started taking an over the counter sleep aid.  It is the same medication as in Benadryl, so in addition to helping me sleep, I can breathe!  Win-win.

Or at least it was until I started to read stories that taking sleep aids can affect short term memory in older people.  I don't know how old you have to be to be considered old.  But I am pretty sure I am there...or at least rapidly approaching old.  I'm racing down the back side of THAT mountain.

When I don't take a sleep aid, I do take Melatonin.  I have no idea if it works, but psychologically, if I TAKE something to sleep, I figure my body might cooperate.

 

But it hasn't been working, so I bought some Sleepytime Tea.  Oh, not just the REGULAR Sleepytime Tea.  But the Sleepytime EXTRA Tea. And it has valerian in it.  That's good, right?

 

I made a cup and drank it around 8:30.   It was a nice cup of tea and I felt very relaxed. Then I got nervous that it would be insufficient, so I got up and took TWO Melatonin tablets about 10:00.

 

I felt sleepy and turned off the light around 11:00.

Ahhh.  This is great, I thought.

 

And I woke up at 4:30 and have been up ever since.

On the bright side, the night before last I woke up at 3:45, so I am heading in the right direction.

And now I'm wondering how important short term memory is, because I know sleep is important and I'm not getting enough.

So what to do you do?  And does it work ALL NIGHT??

UPDATE:

Did the whole routine one more night.  Woke once, fell back to sleep and slept until 7:30. I'm liking this trend!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm I would have left a comment, but forgot what I was going to say😧
    Joking aside because I know that sleep and the lack of it has been in many stories lately and how it can affect one's well being and mental capacities too. I average 6 hrs a night, sometimes more and sometimes less. Pat usually has an afternoon nap, but I can never take one. i have tried tea which is relaxing, but never used it as a regular sleep aid, also never used any OTC meds. It does help, however, not to be thinking of a lot when trying to get too sleep. When that happens, I sometimes just get up for awhule and do something, then return to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had so many drugs in the last two years I figure I'll have dementia in the next five. Maybe I won't know it.

    ReplyDelete