Monday, February 10, 2014

Macho Salad

There is a restaurant in Corona del Mar that I really like.  It is called Bandera and they have a salad that I crave.  They also have a cornbread that is superb and they make that into cornbread croutons.  Or, at least they have cornbread croutons.  Those I don't have and can't eat.

But I can eat most of the rest.  There are various sites that give the recipe.  I made a few changes to suit me and this is the salad I made

Macho Salad

1 or 2 chicken breasts.  I made two, used about 1 1/2 and and saved the rest for another salad.
Big ol' bowl of Romaine.  I used most of bag of chopped Romaine.
1 or 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 avocado, chopped.  Not too small. 
 a big hunk of goat cheese.  Chill and chop in big pieces. Notice my precise instructions.
1/3 cup roasted almonds, chopped

And for Lee
1/4 cup corn
3 chopped dates


The Dressing

1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Splenda.  The recipe I used called for 2 teaspoons brown sugar.  Currently avoiding sugar.
pinch Kosher salt
5 grinds pepper
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup EVOO

 

Use any left over chicken you have from a whole chicken at the market, one you cooked or do like I did and boil some water and poach a couple of chicken breasts.  Cut one open and see if it is still pink after about 10 minutes.  Cook until no longer pink.

 

Remove from the water and let cool.  Give them a rough chop and set aside.  Or just chop up any chicken you have , at least a cup.  Maybe two.  You decide.  Precise instructions, remember?

Dump the bag of Romaine in a large bowl, or just fill a bowl with as much salad as you can eat at one sitting.  Once you dress this, it won't keep overnight.

 

Place the tomatoes, avo, goat cheese and the chopped almonds on top.  Add the now cooled chicken.

 

Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. 

 

It will make more dressing than needed for this salad.  I drizzled 3 Tablespoons over the top and tossed.  Save the rest of the dressing for another time.

 

I served some for me and some for Lee.  Then I added the corn and the chopped dates on Lee's salad and tossed his a bit more to get it mixed

 

A great salad and I didn't feel deprived...much. I think I have to work on my attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment