Saturday, December 21, 2013

Microwave Fudge

Fudge is a Christmas favorite at our house.  I have a recipe I got years ago from Women's Day Magazine.  I usually just make it on the stove top, but this year I chose to make it in the microwave.  You REALLY need a candy thermometer for this.  Some people can tell by the color.  And I can, too, when I am making multiple batches of fudge.  This means the first batch may be too soft or too hard until I remember. So use the thermometer.  Or go strictly by the time and hope for the best!  It is pretty spot on.

I am only making one batch this year, so I chose to leave out the nuts.

 

Fudge

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 cup butter, cut in pieces
1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups mini marshmallows
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)

 

Cut up half a stick of butter and place it in a large glass bowl.  Use the other half of the stick to grease a 9X13 non-stick baking pan.  Set the pan aside.

 

Put the sugar, salt and milk in the bowl with the butter and cover it with a piece of wax paper.  Microwave on high for 3 minutes.

 

Remove the bowl, discard the wax paper, stir and put it in the microwave for 10 more minutes.  Stop the microwave every 3 minutes to stir.  After 10 minutes, check the temperature.  it should be between 234°-240°.  My thermometers never rise fast enough to catch the real temperature, because the sugar solution is rapidly cooling off.  If it is at 230°, you are good.

 

Add the chocolate chips to the hot sugar and stir until melted.  Then add the vanilla and the marshmallows.  Stir until melted.  You may add the nuts at this time if you desire.  Stir until glossy. 

 

Spread in the pan.  You can chill it, or just let it set out for several hours.  Slice with a knife that will not cut your pan.  I have a plastic one for that purpose.  Store in a covered container.  Put it high on a shelf until company arrives or they will not get very much.
 

3 comments:

  1. oh, have mercy on me.... my mouth is watering. Well, if I can't have any then I hope you all enjoy it. Merry Christmas.
    Hugs, Latane

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little of this must go a long way towards fulfilling a chocolate lover's wish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not made this kind of fudge in the microwave, though I made several different kinds of microwave fudge this year. I usually do it the old-fashioned way, on the stovetop, but wasn't up to standing for long stretches. I found several microwave fudge recipes that were serviceable but not as good as the original Fantasy Fudge.

    ReplyDelete