Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oliveto in Roanoke


I wrote previously about finding some wonderful olive oil while visiting in California. I quickly used up one of the bottles, even with trying to avoid high carbohydrate foods. Because it is flavored I used it for dipping and wanted to find some recipes to use with this wonderful oil. I am going to California soon and planned to buy more and hope it didn't break in my suitcase.

While driving in Roanoke today I saw a sign on a storefront. It was called Oliveto, Artisan Oils and Vinegars. I pointed it out to Lee and he kindly drove in so I could see what it was about.

The showroom was spotless and had many different flavors of oil and vinegar. Even better, there were lists of pairings of oil and vinegar and recipe cards scattered around near the different oils with suggestions. You could taste whatever you wanted and the prices were reasonable.

If you have only had olive oil from the supermarket, you really need to try some. You might not want to use it for everyday sauteing, although it would add some wonderful flavor. But you definitely should have some in your home. I am thinking of getting some for hostess gifts.

We ended up with the Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and the Blackberry Ginger Vinegar. I can't wait to try them. And now that's one less thing I have to do on my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment