Tuesday, January 17, 2012
A Good Mole Is A Dead Mole
That is a statement to live by. At least when you have horses. Moles dig holes and horses can step in holes and then you have a ruined horse.
I was down at the barn today and saw RJ rolling about happily in the grass. He squirmed around with his tongue hanging out. And then I saw him sniffing intently and rolling some more. Now if you have a dog, you know what this means. I don't mean a prissy little house dog. Or one that lives on a concrete patio a few minutes a day. I mean a run around the farm, chase a deer or maybe a skunk kind of dog. An RJ kind of dog.
So I went over to take a look at what disgusting thing he had found. Fortunately it wasn't animal parts. Unfortunately it was a dead animal, albeit all in one piece. Fortunately it was completely dead and I didn't have to do any of the dispatching myself. It was also very wet. I assumed this was from the attentions of the aforementioned dog.
I contemplated leaving it where it was and hoping it would disappear by morning. We have a lot of buzzards around here. I thought about burying it in the compost pile. But I USE the compost pile for the garden. So I decided to put it in an old feed bag and throw it out in the trash. The dump is a good place for dead animals.
Just a reminder. If you come to my house and the dog runs up and tries to kiss you, and he will, Do. Not Let Him. I can't stress this enough. This means YOU, Aunt Suzy. Dog's mouths are not cleaner than human mouths and you would know this is true if you ever helped me to clean stalls in the morning. RJ helps, if you know what I mean.