Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Low Carb Experiment


We still have lots of blueberries from this summer. They make great toppings for crepes, pancakes and any baked goods, actually. But I had one left over pie crust from making a quiche and I wanted to try a pie.

So I did.

Low Carb Blueberry Pie

Don't ask me how low carb. I have no idea.

6 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 cup Splenda
1 Tablespoon corn starch
1 Tablespoon water
1 teaspoon lemon, optional
1 pie crust, room temperature

Pre-heat oven to 350.
I had no idea how many blueberries I would need. I though my self very clever to fill a pie plate up with water and measure it in a large measuring cup. Then I doubled that as I knew it would cook down. It measured out at 2 cups. So I used 5cups of blueberries. It was enough, but not perfect, so I added one more cup for YOU to use on my list of ingredients. So try 6 cups. I used 1 cup of Spelenda. My friend Dreama recommends Stevia, so I was going to try it, but went with the Splenda this time. Next time I will try the Stevia.

Heat the berries in a large saucepan with the 1 cup of sweetener. While you are waiting for it to boil, carefully unroll the pie crust and place it in a pie dish.




Cut off the excess. You can also use the frozen pie crusts.




Stir the blueberries and when they are boiling gently, mix the corn starch in a small bowl with the water and add to the mixture. Boil for one minute while stirring, until thickened. I didn't add the lemon, but afterwards, thought it would have been a good addition. So do so if you wish.

Scrape the blueberries into the pie crust and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool. Serve with Cool Whip. Or low carb ice cream. Enjoy!


The pie was OK and low on carbs. It was NOT, however the best pie I ever ate. It had a slight aftertaste. That is why I thought the addition of lemon would be good. There was a slight "skin" on the surface of the pie. You couldn't taste it and there was no mouth feel of skin. I guess that was because of no top crust. I am curious to see how Stevia will change the flavor. I'll let you know.

I made the pie because I had the crust, but also because I was cooking a turkey breast. Surely turkey breast calls for a dessert! I am in "training" for a wedding, (daughter, in England, SOON)so I am watching the food intake. So we had turkey and a salad. Now salads can get boring, but this one was pretty good. Romaine blend, feta cheese, sunflower seeds and tomatoes with a small amount of Ranch dressing.




The best part (naturally the most carbohydrates!) was the pineapple. After living in the South Pacific for many years, I love pineapple. This was a particularly sweet one. And in Virginia of all places! Of course, there are no better pineapples than those in Tonga. You can even eat the cores. One day I'll give you the recipe for Inu Meleni that we learned from Ngalu'afe Tupou with pineapples and watermelon.

Did you notice I put the dessert first? You can tell where my mind is. I'll keep working on the pie. I hope it will be better next time. I TOLD you it was an experiment!

No comments:

Post a Comment