I finished all the boat squares on the sailboat quilt I am making for our second grandchild. The next step is sewing all the sashing between the 8 boat squares and the one whale square that I placed in the center of the quilt.
I like the way it is turning out.
After the top was sewn, I made a "sandwich" of the backing fabric and the batting in between the two. The cat was quite curious about the whole process. And not in a good way.
I particularly like the way it is coming together so quickly. I may ONLY do baby quilts from here on out.
For the first time, I decided to use free hand quilting on the whole project.
I had to be careful to avoid stitching the prairie points, that are supposed to be only attached at the base, to the body of the quilt.
I also chose to stitch very carefully around the boats ( and the whale) to emphasize them.
When the whole thing was quilted, I trimmed the edges.
And then I started to attach the satin binding. I chose satin because babies love to play with the satin binding of their blankets!
I love the backing of the quilt. An oven themed quilt!
One more quilt finished. I have two more I want to do!