Saturday, February 2, 2019

Editing is Important

Our library hosts a Fiber Arts class/meeting once a month.  You can bring your own projects or someone will teach a new craft.  We have explored crocheting rag rugs, tatting and other projects.  This week we did some more needle felting.

I attempted an animal but it was deformed and I gave up.  Rhonda, the head librarian who was teaching the class, kindly took it home for some orthopedic surgery.

As part of the class, we were all given a small mound of carded wool to use. We also got a small kit with some needles with teeny barbs and a foam base to stab into.  The barbs on the needles pull the fibers of wool together and once it is compacted, you can shape it in many forms.  If you have and sculpting skills.  Which I don't.

The best part of the whole day for me, aside from the camaraderie and the SNACKS!, was the instructions that came with the kit.

I write a blog.  I fully admit that sometimes an error gets through my cursory editing process when I am in a rush.  But the instructions were so poorly translated into English that they were mostly unusable. But highly amusing.

  

My daughter is an editor and works remotely for many types of publishing.  I think I see a new business opportunity for her.

2 comments:

  1. If you read some of the information on items available on Amazon, you will see some similar amusing instructions and product information. My husband's term for this wording is "ching-lish."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, my Chinese is non-existent. So the translator speaks English way better than I speak their language. I just think they need another layer of editing. However it is more fun this way!

      Delete