Sunday, February 10, 2013
Raisins in Gin
I have heard that eating a few raisins in gin every morning is supposed to help with arthritis. My finger joints are tender and swollen these days so I am going to try it out. Painting isn't helping. I woke up with most of my fingers tingling. The others were numb. It hurts to make a fist.
I went to the local ABC store, because for some reason the state of Virginia prefers to sell alcohol rather than letting grocery stores do that. The very helpful state of Virginia employee there directed me to the pricier version of gin. I was going to buy a small bottle of generic gin. He convinced me that the more expensive version has more juniper berries and therefore was more efficacious. I wonder if he is on commission?
I came home and put the raisins in a Ball jar and covered it with gin. This morning I fished out 6 raisins. At this point I should point out that I am not particularly fond of raisins. If raisins are called for in a recipe, I generally use Craisins. But as Craisins haven't been touted as having arthritis fighting properties, I had to go with raisins.
I also am not fond of gin. I find it worse than drinking Nyquil, mouthwash or maybe kerosene. I have no clue why people would drink a martini when there are so many tastier ways of getting your alcohol.
I decided to try to choke them down in the middle of my breakfast. And by breakfast, I mean a giant cup of coffee (or two) and an Atkins bar. Oh, and some Crystal Light to swallow my morning vitamins. You can't START your breakfast with gin, after all, and I needed a few bites more of the bar to take the taste away.
They tasted really bad. I hate gin. It didn't matter about the raisins, because I couldn't taste them. I had six and I will have six more tomorrow and the day after that. I will work my way through the whole jar and then reevaluate. I hope they work, so my hands don't hurt and the swelling goes away. I hope they don't work so I don't have to keep eating them.