Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Top Of The Transportation Quilt

 I used a pattern for first six construction vehicles on the transportation quilt I'm making for my grandson. I cut out shapes on my Cricut to use as a template for the next three vehicles.  I found designs for a train, a school bus and a fire truck.  I played around with them a bit to make them a bit more simple so they would fit in with the first six.

I wanted to add three more shapes.  I didn't find three that I liked in the Cricut catalog, so I looked at online free images.  I picked out the ones I wanted.  I tried to trace them from my iPad. My iPad screen is not big enough. I enlarged the design so that the whole thing didn't fit on the screen. I taped tracing paper on my counter and tried very hard not to touch the screen with anything but my pencil, because caused the whole thing to move. Then I shifted the design on the screen to get the whole thing traced. I managed to get the designs I wanted in the size I wanted after a LOT of crumbled up tracing paper.

I used the tracings to make a page of shapes to trace on Steam A Seam.  I ironed it on the back side of the fabric, then appliquéd them on the precut white squares.

I made a garbage truck using two different designs for inspiration.  Getting the recycling design drawn and appliquéd was a bit tricky, but fun.

The helicopter I traced and appliquéd as I found it.  It fit in really well with the flavor of the original designs, kind of cartoonish.

 

Airplanes are a favorite of Wesley's. He stops what he is doing and runs to the window to try and find one when he hears one flying by.  

This is the shape I chose.

When I cut out the final shape, it was too big to go horizontal, so I angled it down, like a strafing run.  I didn't really want to have it horizontal as it would fill more of the square rising or falling. I sent a text of the picture to my daughters.  Trista asked why the plane was crashing.

Oh. That was not the impression I wanted to convey.  So I used the same design and aimed it up as though it was climbing. After all, the plane has windows, so it must be a passenger plane.  They don't do strafing runs!

I saved the diving plane and I may use it as a pillow to go with the quilt.

The top is finished and I'm waiting for the fabric for the back to be delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment