Monday, September 17, 2018

Quilt-Finished

  

I have been working on a Missouri Star Quilt designed by 3 Dudes Quilting. You can see a video here.  For me, the hardest part of any quilt is the actual quilting.  I don't turn my finished quilt tops over to a professional quilter.  A lot of people do.  I don't for two reasons.  One, it's my quilt and I don't think I can claim it if I have someone else do part of it. Two, it is expensive to have a quilt finished and I am cheap.

If you have been following my blog, you will have seen progress on this jelly roll quilt. ( A jelly roll is a roll of strips of fabric cut into 4 foot lengths. all the fabric goes well together and it is a way to make a fabulous quilt in less time.  Check out the video!)

I had to take a break.  I was tired of quilting.  I made some baskets, I made some pillow cases for Ryan's Case For Smiles and I was ready to finish the quilt.  Plus, I had decided I wanted to gift it for Christmas, so I had to get it done!

The fabric isn't pink.  It just looks like it in this light.
 

You can see the stitch in the ditch, and free motion quilting detail best on the back of the quilt.  I used a thread that blended in with the back, but you can still see the detail at the right angle.  

Even after you finish the quilting and the binding, you aren't quite done.  You need to snip off any stray threads and to clean and iron your quilt.

  

The fibers from the batting in the middle gets on top of the quilt when you are working with it. At least mine does.

  

I like to a use a sticky roller over both sides of the quilt to pull off any stuck fibers.  And the occasional me hair!  I like to press my finished quilt to make it crisp looking and get rid of any wrinkles.

  

Then I am done!  I always take a picture of a finished quilt.

   

And now I can start on the knitting project I have been thinking about.

2 comments:

  1. The quilt is lovely and anyone who receives it should treasure it for the skills that went into producing it, well done, Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I just hope they don't use it for a dog bed! Not that I don't love dogs.....

      Delete