Friday, April 6, 2018

Lavender Scones

I had a guest request lavender scones.  No problem. I love scones, too. I still had some food grade, dried lavender.  Then the kicker, a lavender scone that is dairy free.  I found several recipes and mixed them together to find one I liked.

If your grocery store doesn't have dried lavender, you can find some online.  Tea shops are also a good source.  I used coconut milk instead of the buttermilk I usually use for scones.  Then I used a dairy free butter substitute.  You have to read the labels.  Some of the fake butters have some milk or whey in them.  These turned out so delicious I made them again a week later!

  

Lavender Scones

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter substitute, I used Country Crock
1 teaspoon dried lavender buds, food grade
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

raw sugar

  

Preheat the oven to 425º.

  

Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, butter substitute, lavender and lemon zest in a large bowl.  Mix.  Add the fake butter.

  

Use a pastry blender to mix all the ingredients, until they resemble coarse crumbs.

  

Add the coconut milk and vanilla.  Use a spatula to gently mix, just until all the flour is moist and included.

Chill the dough and allow it to rest while you tidy up and prepare a baking sheet.  Line one with parchment paper or use a Silpat.  Get about about 1/4 cup of flour before you put it away and hang on to the raw sugar.

The dough really isn't pink.  Somehow my pink shirt reflected against the dough while I was trying to block the sunlight from my shot!
 

Spread a small amount of flour on a clean counter.  Get the dough and place it on the floured counter. If it is sticky, sprinkle flour on top of the dough. Knead gently two or three times.  Don't overwork the
dough.  I like to make smaller scones so I separate the dough into two equal balls.  I use a pastry scraper to cut the ball in half. Gently shape the dough into two rounds and press to flatten until they are about 3/4 inch high and about six inches around.

  

Use the scraper to cut each round into eight even pie shapes.  Then use the scraper to transfer the scones to the baking sheet.

Brush the tops of the scones with coconut milk.  Sprinkle them with the raw sugar.

  

Bake for 10 to 15 minutes. I baked them for 10 minutes for the smaller ones and 12 minutes when I made eight scones from one large dough ball.  Test with a toothpick when they just start to turn golden on the edges, to make sure the scones are cooked through.  The toothpick should come out clean.

  

Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes.  Transfer them to cooling racks.

  

Serve warm.  These scones are best on the day they are made.

  

4 comments:

  1. Not only did I enjoy reading this post about lavender scones, which look delicious, Rebecca (and purple is my favorite color)...but the purple plate and the purple tool used were nice touches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad you enjoyed the post. These scones were so light and delicious. You should try them. I also like purple. The plates were a gift from my son and daughter-in-law. I asked for some colorful plates to use for pictures of my recipes. Who knew you could get exactly what you needed by asking!

      Delete
  2. Very creative. It isn't easy substituting for common ingredients and still getting good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took so long to reply! But, you're right. You never know if the substitutions will work. And then you will have wasted so much food and disappointed people hoping for the treat. I'm glad it worked out and was so good. Next I want to try a cookie recipe I have been thinking about developing. But we aren't having guests anytime soon and I know we (I) will eat the whole batch. I may wait for the next time I go to the library to make them. My friends there are always happy to share in the bounty!

      Delete