Sunday, October 27, 2019

Felafel Pita Sandwiches with Garlic Dill Sauce

I wanted to fix a simple sandwich meal, but not the same old thing.  I decided to make a felafel pita sandwich.  I generally get ideas for meals by reading books and when the characters eat something, it inspires me to try that, too!  All you authors out there, let your characters eat something fun!

The recipe calls for the dough to chill for 2 hours before cooking, so keep that in mind.

   

Felafel Pita Sandwiches

1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 large shallot
3 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cardamon
1/8 teaspoon coriander

pita bread
tomatoes and lettuce
oil for frying

   

Garlic Dill Sauce

1/3 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dill weed
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt

Drain and rinse the garbanzo beans.  Dry them with a clean dish cloth.  Place them in a food processor with the chopped parsley.  Mince the shallot.  Add the shallot, sesame seeds, cumin, salt, pepper, cardamon and coriander and pulse the processor until the beans are finely chopped but not smooth.

   

Add the flour and pulse until mixed. Use a medium cookie scoop or a large tablespoon and check to see if you can form a ball that holds together. If it is too wet, add a bit more flour.

   

Chill for 1 to 2 hours to firm up.

   

Make the Dill Sauce.  Adjust the garlic salt to taste.

   

While the dough was chilling, I went out to the chicken yard where I have a plethora of volunteer tomatoes growing.  I picked and washed a few for the sandwiches.

Use the scoop to make balls of all the dough.  I flattened mine a bit to make them easier to cook and eat.

   

Fry in 1/2 inch of oil over medium heat until golden brown on each side. Place on a paper towel to drain.

   

When I opened the pita I had purchased, I realized it was scored.  My original intent was to fold the pita over the filling.  But, based on the scoring, I chose to fill the pocket of the pita.

   

Smear the Diil Sauce inside the pita.  Add lettuce and tomato slices to taste.  Place two or three crispy and warm felafel balls, or discs, inside and enjoy.




No comments:

Post a Comment