Thursday, September 12, 2019

Poor Little Girl

When we bought this house it came with 12 chickens. By the time we moved in there were 10.  Chickens only live 4 to 5 years and the former owners explained some of them were nearing the end of their life span.

The last few days I have been finding one of the hens lying on her side and not even attempting to get up.  Each time I have set her on her feet and left her with food.  Tonight she was stuck on her side.  and is looking worse.  I gave her some water which she drank, propped her up and left her with food.

   

This time she was so light that I truly don't believe she will still be here in the morning.  It's sad, but it's life.

Lee, on the other hand, will be happy to see the end of the chickens.  They are just one more thing we have to arrange to have fed and cared for when we travel.

I haven't had them long enough to name them or to have them like me.  They no longer run from me, but we aren't buds.  We will still have 9, which is quite a few chickens, but it is sad.

Update: The Little Red Hen passed away overnight.

And then there were nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment