Monday, May 7, 2018

Potato Crust Quiche

I spend way too much time cruising around Facebook. One of the sites I really like is Tasty.  It has a lot of recipes that look....well....tasty!  I recently found a quiche recipe that works for breakfast OR dinner.  It has thinly sliced potato slices instead of a crust.  As usual, I made a few minor changes to suit me.

  

Potato Crust Quiche

1 pound Russet potatoes, I used two medium
olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
1 1/2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese  I had a three cheese blend that I used
5 eggs
1 cup milk
1 Roma tomato, seeded and diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced. about 1/4 cup
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled.  I used the pre-cooked bacon
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded

  

Heat the oven to 400º.  Spray a pie plate with Pam.

  

Wash and peel the potatoes.  Thinly slice them.  This would be a good time to use a mandoline slicer, but I was too lazy to put it together and then clean it.  So I tried to cut the potatoes very thin and uniformly.

  

Place the slices in a large bowl and drizzle them with a olive oil, about 3 Tablespoons.  Add 1 teaspoon of the garlic salt, 1/4 teaspoon of the ground pepper, and the shredded Parmesan.  Mix gently so that the potato slices are covered.

  

Put one slice in the middle of the prepared pie plate.  Then work your way around in a spiral with the slices overlapping.  Overlap slices all around the edge of the pie plate.

  

Bake for 15 minutes.  The potatoes should be cooked, but not browned.  Remove from the oven.

While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon, whip the eggs and milk. I used the same bowl that had held the potatoes.  I did give it a quick wipe with a paper towel.

  

Add the rest of the garlic salt , pepper, green onion slices, diced tomatoes and the cheddar cheese to the egg mixture.  Crumble the bacon and add that.  Carefully pour the egg mixture into the pie plate. If the potato slices try to float to the top, push them back down.

  

Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs are set and the edges of the potatoes start to brown.

  

Remove and let sit for a few minutes. Then slice and serve warm.  I served it with orange slices.

  

I like quiche and I like to have different recipes to try. This one has Cheddar cheese and it was very good.  I may try it with Swiss cheese the next time.



4 comments:

  1. I should know by now, Rebecca, not to check your blog when I'm hungry. Early dinner plans were set already for today, so my try on this recipe post will have to wait. But, then there's always tomorrow night. I have some red skin potatoes in the pantry and wonder if they could be used as a substitute for the russets. In the past, I've made substitutions when the item called for isn't on hand and I didn't plan on making a separate shop[ping trip. Do you do the same as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lots of times! I love red potatoes and think they would work great. If you were to use a mandoline the russets would be less peeling and less trouble, but they would be great in the recipe. This was a nice quiche. We eat eggs a lot for dinner!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Rebecca for the reply. We also like eggs and quiche too. I'll be making substitutions based on what's in the fridge and this will be dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out and the substitutions. I may want to try it your way next time.

      Delete