Monday, November 9, 2015

Playdough

I recently had a friend of mine visit me.  She is in second grade and a delightful child.  We needed something to occupy our time and I thought she might like to help me make some playdough.  I have had this playdough recipe since my older daughter was in pre-school.  I made it for my kids and the kids I had in my daycare.  It is big fun and so easy.  It is non toxic in small amounts, but has a lot of salt, so shouldn't be eaten.

Similar to commercially made playdough, it will dry out if left in the open, but can last a long time if you return it to a sealed container after each use.

Playdough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt, that reminds me.  Gotta put salt on the list.
2 teaspoons cream of tartar, go ahead and buy it.  You need it to make snickerdoodles
1 Tablespoon oil
1 cup warm water

Optional

food coloring
food flavoring

 

Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan.  I used 1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavoring and 4 drops of red food coloring.  If this got on a carpet, I didn't want any staining.  It gave the playdough a faint pink appearance.

 

Use whatever flavors and colors you like, and have in the pantry.

 

Heat over medium heat.  My friend needed a chair to help and I made sure to keep her far from the flame of my gas cooktop.  Don't walk away.  This doesn't take long.

 

Keep stirring until the dough forms into a ball.

That's it!

 

It is quite warm when you finish, so wait a bit before little hands start forming shapes. 

 

Why, yes.  We DO allow 7 year olds to get tattooed in Virginia.

  

Doesn't everyone?

2 comments:

  1. Cute tattoo and girl! Looks like a fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grandkids like Playdoh and have the store-bought version...perhaps this can be a future project when we visit. Liiks like your young friend had a good time. Just wondering...Is the tattoo permanent or temporary?

    ReplyDelete