Sunday, December 5, 2021

Horse Quilt

 I wanted to make a quilt for a grandchild. The problem is, I have already made at least one quilt for each grandchild I current have. But what if I die and then there is another grandchild?  They might feel unloved by me!  So I decided to make a horse quilt for a yet to be named grandchild.  On the other hand one of my currently existing grandchildren may become horse crazy and they can have the quilt. Anyway, I made a horse quilt.

I have a Cricut.  This is a machine that cuts out shapes. There is a huge catalog of shapes that you can download to an iPad and then it will cut out paper, card stock, fabric and other thin items. I downloaded a bunch of horse shapes, sized them to fit on a 6 1/2 inch square and cut them out on card stock.

There is a product called Steam A Seam. It is fabric glue pressed between two sheets of paper. I used the templates of horse shapes to draw the designs on the Steam a Seam.  You have to be careful to draw on the proper side!

I cut roughly around the shapes and ironed them on to the backside of the fabric I wanted to use. Then I cut out the shapes, peeled off the paper and ironed them onto a white 6 1/2 inch square.  

I had some fabric with horses on it that I also cut out and appliquéd to white squares.

I had enough fabric for the horse silhouettes but wanted to look for fabric for the rest of the quilt.  I found a quilt shop in Winchester that actually allowed people in to shop.  COVID has closed many stores or made them closed to in-person shopping.  It is hard to find the right colors on a computer screen. I wanted to go in and found a very cute and helpful store.

I did a small quilt as it is so much easier to quilt them in my sewing machine. I like to do the whole thing myself. 

They even had some fabric with horses all over for the backing!

So now it is finished and waiting for the first kid that wants a horse!

No comments:

Post a Comment