Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Butter Mints

When I was a child my parents used to have butter mints in a dish for parties.  If I was lucky there would be some left over afterwards and I could have a few.  So when the recipe popped up on Facebook, I thought it would be fun to make some. 

It was pretty easy and they are delicious.  Strangely the mint is peppermint and I hadn't remembered that as the flavor.  I had forgotten that Lee sneezed when he ate mint of any kind.  So I gave some away and froze some for a future date. I have been popping them in my mouth when I pass the Rubbermaid container on the counter.

Butter Mints


1 Stick butter (1/2 cup)

4 cups powdered sugar, plus a bit more

1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

1 teaspoon vanilla 

1 Tablespoon half and half

pinch of salt

gel food coloring (optional)


Place the butter in a mixer. I use Kitchen Aid. Beat the butter for several minutes.  Add 2 cups of butter and mix slowly until moist and then increase until incorporated. 

Add the next 2 cups and mix well.  Add the peppermint extract, half and half and salt. Beat until smooth.

Lightly dust a clean surface with powdered sugar. 

Divide the dough into five and wrap each with cling film.  If you want to color them different colors use gloves and knead in the food coloring until well blended. I only wanted to add a bit of yellow food coloring. so I added it with the other liquids. 

 

Take one lump of dough and pull off a section. Roll out into a rope about 1/2 inch thick. I used a bench scraper to cut the ropes into 1/2 inch sections.  Then I used the bench scraper to transfer the cut pieces to a parchment or wax paper covered baking sheet.  

Let dry uncovered for at least 12 hours. I put them in Rubbermaid containers. I also put about 1/3 in the freezer.  I hope they don't get moist and ruined. But that's better than eating them all this week!

2 comments:

  1. What a great recipe! I make hardtack candy every Christmas (I use the strong Loran oils) - I only like wintergreen, clove and the mint flavors. I am going to try this recipe next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice comments. I really liked these. Too much, I'm afraid! These are soft and buttery. I imagine you could use any flavoring you wanted.

      Delete