Friday, February 15, 2019

Wooden Bowls

I have taken two classes at Woodcraft in Roanoke.  For the most recent class, I used a bloodwood bowl blank my son gave to me.  I was in no way good enough to use this wood.

  

The instructor explained it was super hard and very brittle and not for a novice.  But I decided it was better to try it with them than to take it home and do it by myself.  This was a mistake.



  

I got a decent rough shape, but when I tried to remove the screwed on chuck, one of the screws broke off.  We weren't able to dig it out and the instructor had to turn it out for me.

  

The I was trying to clean up the rim and I cracked the collar off the back.  I had to cut a new one and this made the blank shorter than I wanted and wasted some of the beautiful bloodwood.

  

With a LOT of help, I came home with a very nice bowl.

  

I now have three bowls that I have made out of three different woods.  The flatter, lighter one I made by myself on my Shopsmith lathe, with no help and a LOT of sanding.

I used a mineral oil and beeswax blend to finish the bowls.  That way they are food safe.  Although my son tells me I am to fill the bloodwood bowl with blood.  He said it isn't called potpourri wood.

  

I am not good yet, but I feel that I can start making more bowls at home and see if I can get good. Or competent.  I'll settle for that.  If I can make some decent bowls,  I have been invited to place them for sale at Explore Park. That will be fun.

The weather will have to warm up considerably before I make any more bowls.  At least above freezing.  Or 50°....

2 comments:

  1. WOW! Gorgeous work on the bowls for a beginner. The bloodbowl is so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bowl from that difficult wood, Rebecca. And, the 2 you did at your home were also lovely. I showed this post to Pat and it made him recall his wood turning days, which he still talks about.

    ReplyDelete