Thursday, June 27, 2019

Apricot Coffee Cake

I'm horribly embarrassed, but I didn't write down where I got this recipe. I'm pretty sure I got it from a Joanne Fluke mystery.  I made a few minor changes, but I can't claim it as solely mine.

I was looking for a recipe to use up some eggs.  Now that we have chickens, finding a recipe to use them, or a friend to take them, is a regular problem.   This apricot recipe uses 6 eggs, so it shot to the top of the list!

   

Apricot Coffee Cake


Batter:

1 cup butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
6 eggs
3 cups flour

Filling:

3 cups chopped apricots  It took me 10 apricots
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup flour


Topping:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup butter, not softened

   

Pre-heat the oven to 350°.  Spray a 9X13 baking dish with Pam.  Set aside.

Notice how yellow these eggs are!!
 

Beat the butter until it is light and fluffy.  This is easiest in a stand mixer.  I use a Kitchen Aid.
Add the sugar and beat until fully blended.  Mix in the salt, vanilla and baking powder.  Beat in the eggs, one at a time.

   

Add the flour, one cup at a time.

   

When all is mixed in, place half of the batter in the prepared dish.  Spread it evenly.

   

Chop up the apricots and place them in a medium bowl.  I chose to peel them, but I don't know if it is necessary.   Sprinkle on the sugar and cinnamon and stir.  Stir in the flour.

   

Drop the fruit mix evenly on top of the batter in the dish. Spread evenly.

   

Drop remaining batter over the fruit mixture.   I used a cookie scoop.  Once again, spread it evenly. You may have some fruit showing through. Don't worry about it.

   

Prepare the crumb topping.

   

Place the sugar and flour in a medium bowl and mix. Cut up the butter and mix it in with a pastry cutter, or forks, until crumbly.  

   

Place the crumb topping evenly on top of the batter.

   

Bake for 45 or 55 minutes or until golden brown.

  

Serve slightly warm.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment