Sunday, May 2, 2021

Aunt Rugs

 I was bemoaning to my friend , Doris, the fact that I can't get out to fabric stores to get what I want and ordering online has been less than wonderful.  She gathered up a BUNCH of fabric quarters and just sent them to me!  She has been quilting for a long time and has a huge stash of fabric.  But STILL!  All these fabrics that she loved and bought, she just packed them up and sent them!

So I sat down and made her a mug rug to thank her for such generosity.  This is what I sent.  

I spoke to my mother's little sister the other day.  She has seen some of the mug rugs I have posted here.  She mentioned how much she liked them.  So she gets a mug rug, too!  

She used to belong to the Red Hat Society, a group of ladies 50 and beyond that do lunch and wear outrageous red outfits and matching hats.  It was perfect for my flamboyant and beautiful Aunt Suzy.  

I found some dramatic black and red fabric with gold accents. I added lace for femininity and then appliquéd my Aunt's initials. 

I think it suits her.

After I finished these mug rugs, I was at a loss for what to do next.  I still feel that I want to try new things with this tiny quilt journey.  But wait!  I have another aunt on my mother's side. I called my Aunt Donna to see if she would like one.  I don't know if she REALLY does or if she was being polite, but we ended up deciding on flowers and horses.  She is a Kentuckian after all! So we had to include the horses.

This is what I made for her.  I put the horse with the paddle block and then the flowers within the courthouse step block. Here is the mug rug for her.

After I made the mug rugs for my maternal aunts, I couldn't leave out my father's sister  She lives in California.  I haven't seen that side of my family in a long time. They live in Southern California and our granddaughters live in Northern California. Thats a long flight from Virginia, where we now live, so I have only gone to see the girls in recent times.

I chose purple for my Aunt Janet. Once again I added a bit of lace. I found a purple ribbon that fit and tried that, too.  I liked this new quilt square and mailed it off. 

I wonder what my next project will be?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Rebecca, it's been so long since a visit here and glad I decided to see if you still had an active blog. These mug rugs are a really lovely gift, so much better than regular coasters. Tailoring each one for the person's interests makes them personal, which you already knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you "stopped by"! I don't post frequently. I am really enjoying these mug rugs. And as you say, I like to make them to suit the people I give them to!

      Delete
    2. So am I glad to have visited and will do so again. Glad you are having such joy in creating and gifting, Rebecca.

      Delete
    3. Im really enjoying it. Next I may do a small quilt. Maybe a child's quilt. But I don't have a child in mind.

      Delete